Thursday, July 29, 2010

The More You Read...

It is hard to believe that my second week interning here at the American Shakespeare Center is almost over. The time seems to just be flying by. Last weekend I was able to go to the Blackfriars theatre and see both The Taming of the Shrew and Othello. Both of the shows were wonderful. It is one thing to learn about Shakespeare's original practices in a classroom but you don't really understand them until you are given the chance to experience them first hand. Shakespeare was also meant to be seen and heard. I can read Othello a million times but it wont make me cry like I did seeing it performed. I am very excited to take the things I'm experiencing to my theatre back home.

My week in the office has been spent doing study guide research for As You Like It and bibliographies. I have been gathering and compiling sources for both the tour of the Blackfriars and some of the program information. At first I though the job would be just like being back in school but the source materials I have been exposed to have opened the world of Shakespeare to me even further. In my final semester of school I will have to write a thesis on Shakespeare and I was struggling with topic ideas. I now have a ton of ideas for my topic. It's going to be hard to pick just one.

I am also excited for the opportunity to read a number of dramaturgy thesis projects. Having designed my own dramaturgy major I know these text will be invaluable in helping me better understand of what dramaturgy is and what my personal style and approach to it should be.
Elena Henriksen

No comments:

Post a Comment